During the accumulation phase of life there are many competing financial priorities. Trying to balance how much you save toward retirement vs other priorities like education planning or insurance needs can be confusing. Below are some of the top questions I get from families who are saving toward retirement.
- How much money should I be saving in my 401k?
- Am I on track to retirement?
- What types of college savings plans are out there and how much do I need to save?
- How much money should I be putting toward college savings plans?
- Do I need life insurance and if so how much and what kind? What about liability insurance or disability insurance?
- How can I make my investments more tax efficient?
- What is the proper mix of stocks and bonds for me?
- Am I properly diversified?
We work with clients to discuss each one of those goals in detail, build a plan, implement a plan and continue to monitor things moving forward. Life happens fast and things can change from year to year so it is important to check in on topics quarterly and look for ways to optimize your financial plan over time.